Sunday 25 August 2013

Music Schmoozic!

Time to get off the technical bus.  Stretch my legs, take a deep breath of clean country air...

Statement:  I would happily trade all the time I have listened to any and all music, live and reproduced, for being present at one public performance of one of the piano concertos of Mozart, with the composer at the keyboard.

We all have our personal tastes in music.  Just as well.  I remember, as a small child, I really couldn't appreciate or like very much, the music my parents liked, listened to or performed.  Stuffy, old-fashioned, boring, tedious, incomprehensible, mouldy, no rhythm, funny tunes or tuneless:  in fact, not relevant to my world at the time.
Sometimes our tastes in music are really about what our current friends like, and we all finish up liking stuff that takes little or no effort to digest and enjoy or understand and appreciate.  Human nature likes the easy options.  Classical music? --  too hard, strictly for the "egg-heads"!  Just a noise!
Very sad.
Personally, I would describe most music written and performed for the masses in the last 50 years or so as being a negative influence and force in society.

Statement no.2:  Music should be a positive thing in our lives, leaving the individual listening to the piece in a better frame of mind and outlook.

Today, popular music, in all its forms, is selling us short.
The production of today's musical entertainment, especially recorded releases, is increasingly complex and convoluted.  Check out a modern commercial recording studio's facilities.  All that to produce some rap or grunge or hip-hop or house or.... you get my drift.
Where is excellence in melody, form, harmonies, theme variations, etc.?  Plenty of technical skill - little real musical ability.

I've had my say, could rave on more:  now it's over to you.

Back on the bus next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment