Thursday 25 July 2013

History and Horizons


Well, we all have to start somewhere and sometime.  Here goes!
How sound recording technology has changed in the last forty years.
My first attempt at a "serious" recording was of a vocal group, with backing, using a Truvox open reel recorder and a pair of Sennheiser cardioid mics, possibly in a sort of stereo array.  The biggest problem, as I recall, was intermittent heavy rain on the iron roof of the hall.  I still have a copy of the tracks that were used.....technically the recording left a lot to be desired by my current standards, but the performances and music were great.  Happy memories.
And to me that is what recording is mostly about:  preserving a memory - a memory in musical form of a real event.  No loops, synthesized riffs and drum machines for me!  Of course, that approach can be lots of fun and quite a challenge, but my main goal in recording of music is to capture the event in such a way that the total impact and presence is preserved and gives the listener a "You are there!" experience when the piece is replayed through competent stereo or surround sound (multi-channel) equipment.
In coming posts, I will ramble on a bit about techniques and equipment that can be implemented and used to achieve the above goal.  Comments and suggestions are welcome - I still have a lot to learn.

P.S.  Check out my website for more info.!
http://www.digiloguerecordings.com.au/index.html

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Bob for the beautiful presentation of your long over due FIRST blog!
    'Hats off to Deb' for her gentle, but persistent persuasion.
    Your very humble, yet professional approach to your 'unspoken' talent is invaluable to society
    Bob. I am assured this blog will become appreciated by all readers .
    I for one, have such an appreciation to learn about the 'mechanics' behind sound recording and the 'musical memoirs' that can be created at such a level of professionalism.
    I will be an avid Bob Baillie follower to continue learning about this subject!
    I wish Bob every success in what started as his 'serious hobby business' and urge all readers to 'share' this blog with others so they too can learn and appreciate the 'unspoken' talents of Bob Baillie.
    Bobs, 'musical memoirs' will live on way beyond any of us. Best wishes Bob for many years of enjoyment from again becoming 'our teacher!'
    The 'comments' box is an 'invaluable space' for feedback for both the blogger and the visitor, therefore I also recommend readers share their comments and appreciation by supporting Bob with his new venture'.
    Your friend...Carol Smit

    ReplyDelete